Sunday, November 9, 2008

Medieval Unit Celebration

We recently finished Unit 1 of Year 2 for Tapestry of Grace--our history curriculum. To mark the end of studying the Middle Ages, we had a celebration. I made some costumes for the kids--none for us however. I bought the material to make them for Dan and I, but it never got done. I should have known.

Anyway, we had a good time. Some history for those of you who haven't recently studied the Middle Ages:

  • Food was served on stale bread called trenchers--they didn't have plates back then. Plus then you could just eat the bread when your main course was done if you wanted.
  • They only had spoons and the knives they used for hunting--no forks. Spoons were used for soup but not really for anything else.
  • When eating with your fingers, you were only supposed to use your thumb and first two fingers. And absolutely no licking of the fingers!! There were bowls of rose water at the table to clean your hands in (I forgot to buy the roses so we just had water).
  • Often there was only one bowl of soup for every two people so they just shared.
Here is what we had for our menu:
Butternut squash soup
Roast chicken with orange sauce
Everyday tart (a tart with farmer's cheese, cream cheese, raisin and eggs)
Fruit patties (basically pie crust with a filling of walnuts, figs, apples and raisins which was then fried and rolled in sugar)

Here are some pics of our celebration:


This is one of my favorites. I'm not sure the look they were going for here--I think mean (except for Darin). It made me laugh out loud.

I think Darin was trying to look mean here.

Kara demonstrating which fingers to use to eat.

Kara caught licking her fingers.



Darin eating his trencher.

Ellie and Kara treated us to a dance after supper.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What memories your children will have!!!!!

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2007-2008